The following exhibit identifies the five most important attributes of effective and productive teams.
Keeping in mind the above attributes, effective team systematically solve problems using a five-step process:
- Define and clarify the problem, including reasons why it is a problem and the benefits of resolving the problem
- Generate alternative solutions along with the pros and cons of each alternative
- Evaluate and compare the solutions, and select the most attractive one
- Develop an implementation plan
But not only are they systematic, effective teams:
- Don’t take short-cuts
- Have someone gather and write-up the input from team members prior to meeting(s)
- At the meeting, begin by reading the notes prepared in (b)
- Don’t expect to complete all four steps (1) – (4) in one meeting
This may seem a bit cumbersome but this process and approach are used by Jeff Bezos – CEO of Amazon Inc. and Jack Dorsey – CEO of Twitter.
This approach is equally effective developing a strategic action plan for seizing opportunities.